How long can you live in Spain without residency

Spain is currently under economic growth and good living conditions, attracting foreigners to seek residency or citizenship in this country. It is well-known that Spanish migration requirements are complex and depend on the solicitor’s case. One of the most common inquiries that may arise is how long a person can stay in Spain without residency.

First, it is important to clarify that foreigners residing in Spain must have been previously obtained authorization and a visa. Foreigners that require visas for Spain may stay without a resident permit for up to a maximum of 90 days. Foreigners who do not require a visa may stay up to a maximum of 90 days and may seek an extension up to 180 days. 

If you are planning to stay longer, the Ministry of Interior may grant temporary or permanent residencies. Temporary residencies allow the solicitor to stay for more than 90 days and less than five years. If the person has lasted less than five years, the residency can be renewed periodically (depending on the solicitor’s case). Some temporary residencies do not grant work permits; there are specific regulations on work permits (even if the person is self-employed). The initial authorization of temporary residence does not include work permits.

Information how long can you live in Spain without residency

Permanent residencies authorize solicitors to reside and work in Spain indefinitely. According to the Ministry of Interior, citizens of a Member State of the European Union or a State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area and relatives not nationals to these states who have held a temporary residence for five continuous years and meet all legal aspects can apply for a permanent residency.

Current legislation establishes the requirements in force to obtain the residence and work authorization (for the employed and self-employed). EU citizens and their families are subject to a specific legal regime. Therefore, it is always advisable that foreigners planning to reside in Spain or that are under a visa permit look for legal advice that will guide them in their migration process.

At GM Lawyers in Marbella, we have the best professionals to guide you through this process at competent prices. Our team of experts will give you advice on your specific case. We have vast experience with migration and residence processes. If you do not speak Spanish, do not worry. We are fluent in different languages.

live in Spain without residency
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin