Residence Permits For Investors And Non-Residents

Legal and tax regulations

After 2013 Spain became one of the countries where most international companies and people want to invest, especially when we talk about real estate investment. However, it’s fundamental for foreigners inverters to be aware of the Spaniard tax law, or even better, to create a tax planning for their investment in Spain.

In this article, we will talk about legal and tax regulations that you need to know if you are going to invest in Spain, but be aware that it’s not a substitute for legal advice from a tax attorney, so if you wish to make your business in a Spanish city, like Marbella, you should hire a lawyer in Marbella to make the best of your investment to take residence permit.

Real estate taxes in Marbella

When you acquire real estate in Spain, you will have to pay the following taxes:

Value added tax (VAT): no matter who you are or your condition, you will have to pay this tax when you buy any property, because every person that buys real estate in Spain need to fulfill this obligation. You have to consider all these things: the tax on documented legal acts, the part of Spain where the property is and the most important aspect, the type of tax (that changes in each province). So, with this in your mind you could have to pay between 1,5% to 10% of the value of your acquisition.

On the other hand, there is a reduction of the amount of VAT that you have to pay, depending on the use you are going to give to your purchase (for living, commercial use, etc.)

Transfer Tax: the buyer need to pay the transfer tax, that varies depending on the selling price of the real estate. If the property was sold for equal or lower than €1 million, then the amount to pay will be around 10% of the value of the property and if the property was sold for more money, the amount to pay grows one percent more.

About residence permit and golden Visas

To facilitate your business in Spain it’s worth to get a Spaniard Golden Visa. A Golden Visa is a resident permit for people who invest a certain amount of money in spanish real estate. To opt for a Golden Visa you need to provide the following:

  • Your criminal record from the country of current residence
  • Proof of payment of the properties purchase
  • Proof of the acquisition of private insurance healthcare valid in Spain
  • Proof of residency in Spain

The reality of what is required to comply with the Spanish tax law and to obtain a Golden Visa is far more complicated during the process. So, if you want to speed up in this process you only need a good lawyer in Marbella or a low firm in Marbella like GM Lawyer to carry out the entire bureaucratic process and protect your investment. Don’t wait more time and hire a solicitor in Marbella.

Real Estate Sales

Contract Contact